I have another tag today! I wasn’t actually tagged for this, but I saw it on Merie’s blog and couldn’t resist doing it myself.
Basically, just like in the game “never have I ever,” you’re asked if you’ve done something and have to confess if you have. But all the things are related to writing. It looks like a lot of fun.
- Link and thank the blogger who tagged you. (Thanks for inspiring me to steal this tag, Merie!)
- Include the graphic somewhere in your post (or make your own).
- Answer the questions truthfully and honestly. (Note: they’re not exactly questions. And how can you be both truthful and honest? But I guess that’s just me being very literal and picky:)
the questions + my answers
Never have I ever…
… started a novel that I didn’t finish.
Yes, I have indeed done this. Multiple times.
Some of them I’ll never finish (fine by me), but others I will. Soon.
… written a story completely by hand.
I’ve done this! Before I learned to type, I handwrote a Narnia fanfiction and several other stories. I often write by hand (two of my favorite stories I’ve written, “A World Reborn” and “Un-Integrated,” were both drafted by hand at first. And this past November, I handwrote 50k of my novel The Ancient Song.
Yeah. My hand hurt.
… changed tenses midway through a story.
NOOO. Never. I cannot abide tense switches (accidental) and so very much avoid them in my writing. And I usually know what tense a story belongs in before writing it.
… not researched anything before starting a story.
Yes, of course! That’s how fantasy works. You start writing a story with no clue how your world will be, and make it up as you go. (Or maybe you actually do some worldbuilding first, but that’s not research either.)
… changed my protagonist’s name halfway through a draft.
Joe became Matthias
Lelani –> Rosamund
Quintessr –> Quinn
Elnir –> Elnira –> Tarana
Lathoroni (yes, that was his name) –> Lath
Gwyndyr –> Gabriel
Nosaj –> Melos
Karen –> Caroline –> Karena –> Karen (again)
Abigayle –> Abigail
And Elarin –> some name I haven’t picked yet.
(Clearly, the answer is yes.)
… written a story in a month or less.
I once wrote a story in a day. Incidentally, it was the only one I’ve had published online. So maybe fast writing works for me?
I’ve also written a number of other stories in less than a month, as well.
… fallen asleep while writing.
No. I don’t write when I’m super tired (or if I do, I make myself stay awake).
… corrected someone’s grammar irl (in real life)/online.
Yes… but only if I know them really well.
… yelled in all caps at myself in the middle of a novel.
No, I’ve never done this. But I certainly have felt like doing it.
… used “I’m writing” as an excuse.
Yes, I have. When I was actually writing.
… killed a character that was based on someone I know in real life.
I named the elf king and queen in my high fantasy novel after my parents. Then I had these monarchs’ daughter declare herself the last of her family. Then I realized that in order for this to be true, she’d actually have to be the last. Then… I killed off her parents. Who were (sort of) based on my parents.
Sorry, Mum and Pater.
… used pop culture references in a story.
I did this a little in my NaNo novel The Ancient Song, but most of the references were to things that I personally like (since my MCs were based, to a degree, on me). And most of the things that I like are not “pop culture.”
… written between the hours of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m.
I have never done this.
… drank an entire pot of coffee while writing.
… written down dreams to use in potential novels.
Yes! I have two entire story ideas (The Banner Bearer and an untitled story set in the world Aelarrim) based on dreams I’ve had.
… published an unedited story on the Internet/your blog/Wattpad.
I think “Silvan Lands, Silver Light” might count, since I didn’t edit it a bit plot-wise. But I did edit its spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. because I’ve always cared a lot about those.
… procrastinated homework/schoolwork because I wanted to write.
During the entire month of November, my schoolwork suffered because I had to write 50,000 words.
… typed so long that my wrists hurt.
I don’t think this has happened. But I have written by hand so long that my hands hurt.
… spilled a drink on my laptop while writing.
No, but that’s only because I’m not allowed to have food and drink near the computer.
… forgotten to save my work/draft.
I’ve never done this because I became paranoid after hearing how Andrew Peterson lost half of his first draft of The Warden and the Wolf King and had to rewrite the entire thing.
… finished writing a novel.
No. I’m currently working on this.
… laughed like an evil villain while writing a scene.
I’m far more likely to be crying when bad things happen to my characters.
… cried while writing a scene.
Yes. Sometimes I cry because the scene is very sad, but more often I’m nearly crying in joy for how beautiful a scene or redemption arc is.
… created maps of my fictional worlds.
I’ve made many maps. It’s one of my favorite worldbuilding activities.
… researched something shady for a novel.
Since I mainly write fantasy, the only “shady” things I’ve ever needed to research are related to war and violence. And instead of random searches, I tend to ask my friends or online writing community for advice.
This tag doesn’t seem to have rules about tagging more people, so I’ll leave it open to anyone who has a blog and writes! If you want to do this tag, here are the questions:
Never have I ever…
- … started a novel that I didn’t finish.
- … written a novel completely by hand.
- … changed my protagonist’s name halfway through a draft.
- … written a story in a month or less
- … fallen asleep while writing.
- … corrected someone’s grammar irl (in real life)/online.
- … yelled in all caps at myself in the middle of a novel.
- … used “I’m writing” as an excuse.
- … killed a character that was based on someone I know in real life.
- … used pop culture references in a story.
- … written between the hours of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- … drank an entire pot of coffee while writing.
- … written down dreams to use in potential novels.
- … published an unedited story on the Internet/my blog/Wattpad.
- … procrastinated homework/schoolwork because I wanted to write.
- … typed (or handwritten) so long that my wrists hurt.
- … spilled a drink on my laptop/computer (or notebook or typewriter) while writing.
- … forgotten to save my work/draft.
- … finished writing a novel.
- … laughed like an evil villain while writing a scene.
- … cried while writing a scene.
- … created maps of my fictional worlds.
- … researched something shady for my novel.
I hope you enjoyed reading all about the things I have and have not done in my years (over a decade now!) of writing. If you do this tag, be sure to comment with your link so I can read it!
And tell me: have you ever changed a character’s name? What about more than once?
Until next time!